Lemon Butter Cream Cake

I love any excuse to bake a cake. Cakes should not be for birthdays only. Who doesn’t love a pretty and delicious cake?

When we decided to go to a free symphony concert in the park last weekend with friends I thought it was the perfect excuse to make a cake. Who wouldn’t enjoy a concert in the park and a cake?!

Lemon is usually my flavor of choice when it comes to a cake.

lemon butter cream cake recipe

My pink vintage cake plate and vintage tablecloth were the perfect addition to the more vintage inspired cake. I decided to just put the butter cream between the layers and let the cake edges show. Love it! That way I don’t have to worry about my poor cake decorating skills either!
lemon butter cream cake recipe

When we arrived at the park for the concert there were quite a few oohs and aahs over the cake.

lemon butter cream cake recipe

At intermission a nice lady came down and said, “I just have to ask, did you make the cake yourself? We’ve been discussing it throughout the concert if you had. I was sure you had.” She was so cute. I told her I had made it and then sent her off with a big piece of cake to share with her friends!
lemon butter cream cake recipe

So don’t wait for a birthday to make a cake – make one just because!

This recipe came from an old Southern Living magazine that I have held onto for years. Not sure why I waited so long to try out this recipe!

lemon butter cream cake recipe

Lemon Butter Cream Cake Recipe

Printable Recipe

8 egg yolks

3/4 C butter, softened

1 1/4 C sugar

2 1/2 C cake flour

1 Tbsp baking power

1/4 tsp salt

3/4 C milk

1 tsp lemon zest

1-2 tsp fresh lemon juice

1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375. Beat egg yolks in mixer at high speed for about 4 minutes or until thick and pale. Beat butter until creamy and add in sugar. Beat well. Add in beaten egg yolks until well combined.

Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to sugar mixture alternating with 3/4 C milk. Begin and end with flour mixture. Mix at low speed until blended after each addition. Mix in 1 tsp lemon zest, 1-2 tsp lemon juice and 1 tsp vanilla. Divide batter between 3 greased and floured 9 inch round cake pans.

Bake for 13-17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans for about 10 minutes and then remove cake from pan to wire rack. Let cool for 1 hour or completely cool until frosting.

Lemon Butter Cream Frosting

1 C butter, softened

2 tsp lemon zest

1/4 C fresh lemon juice

1 package (32 oz.) powdered sugar

2-3 Tbsp half and half

Beat butter until creamy, stir in lemon zest and juice. Gradually add in sugar. Beat at high speed for 4 minutes. Add in half and half until desired consistency for spreading is achieved.

Spread frosting between each layer of cake. Enjoy!

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. irrigador dental 03/09/2017 at 8:42 am

Hello, all the time i used to check webpage posts here in the early hours in the
    morning, since i love to learn more and more.

2. elsa shelton 08/06/2016 at 9:28 am

Does this make enough frosting to also frost the sides if I want to?

3. Biały Bór 02/08/2016 at 10:41 am

Wow, that’s what I was exploring for, what a information! existing here at this web site,
    thanks admin of this web page.

4. Florentina 01/29/2016 at 10:59 am

Ce nettoyant plaqués avec les deux anti-acné acide salicylique et de l’acide alpha hydroxy lissage de la peau, ce
    qui éclaircit la peau terne en exfoliant les cellules mortes de la peau.

5. Prince 01/11/2016 at 9:12 am

Englobamos todo género de sesiones, adaptándonos a las necesidades de cada
    sector y ofertando el mejor servicio, tanto
    en estudio, como en localizaciones exteriores.

6. Brandi 12/01/2015 at 5:51 pm

Une fois la commande du client passée, un e-mail de confirmation comprenant un récapitulatif des
    articles commandés et l’adresse de livraison lui est envoyé.

7. Arnoldo 11/23/2015 at 2:06 pm

Pour ceux qui n’aiment pas boire, commencer par emmener avec vous
    de petites bouteilles d’eau (1/2 L) ou additionner un peu de
    citron pour facilité votre consommation.

8. Crystal 10/29/2015 at 8:25 am

Eine aktuelle Studie der Stanford-University zeigt,
    dass mit einer solchen auf die Genetik angepassten Beratung deutlich bessere Erfolge beim Abnehmen erzielt werden können.

9. movies 07/03/2015 at 8:36 am

se is great way to watch different type’s movies online without paying single penny.
    As far as court room movies go, Liar, Liar is a must see for law students who want to know exactly how to get a proper continuance.

In 2014, there were almost 700 movies at this website.

10. Cindy 06/30/2012 at 10:18 pm

Your cake looked awesome. I just made it, but something is wrong. The cake is flat as a pancake and a whitish color, and not fluffy. The frosting is WONDERFUL. I followed the recipe to a tee. Was that supposed to be 1 tablespoon of baking powder with cake flour? I am just trying to figure what could have gone wrong. The batter tasted yummy!

• Leigh Anne @Your Homebased Mom 06/30/2012 at 10:30 pm

Sorry you had a problem. I am wondering what altitude you are baking at? I had a cake flop today myself. It is really humid and muggy today and I am thinking that may have been part of the problem for me.

cut the cake in half and look inside. Now take a bite from the middle. Is it gooey and undercooked? If so, the oven may be underheating. Otherwise if the collapsed part is all thick and rubbery inside, your altitude could be the problem: water and CO2 may be leaving the batter before it gets hot enough for the starch/proteins to cook and solidify the batter into a fluffy sponge.

In either case, confirm that oven is fully preheated to the exact temp by using an oven thermometer. If altitude is the culprit, bake at higher heat setting.

• Cindy 06/30/2012 at 10:45 pm

I did use xylitol instead of granulated sugar. Supposed to be able to use it interchangeably. That is probably what happened.

• Cindy 06/30/2012 at 10:52 pm

I live in Texas, so it’s probably not an altitude problem. The temperature might be off, though. But I will try it again another time with regular sugar. Thanks!

• Cindy 07/01/2012 at 8:44 pm

Well, the cake was SO delicious. I will definitely make this again, everyone loved it. Thanks for the recipe!

11. Jackie 08/21/2011 at 8:42 pm

Hi Leigh Anne

Does the flavor of the lemon shine through in this cake, I don’t feel like it would with only 1 teaspoon of lemon zest and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice for a 3 layer cake.

• Leigh Anne Wilkes 08/22/2011 at 10:52 am

The lemon is light and subtle in the cake but the lemon in the frosting shines through!!

12. Jana 08/16/2011 at 12:48 pm

I can’t wait to make this cake! Do you think any modifications need to be made for high altitude?

13. Megan 08/16/2011 at 12:32 pm

That IS a lovely cake, and it sounds divine! I hope the lady from the concert reads this, since I’m sure she would enjoy having the recipe — especially after actually tasting it. =D

14. auntie m 08/16/2011 at 10:06 am

Now I know what to make for my mom’s 87th birthday! Beautiful cake!

15. Barefeet In The Kitchen 08/16/2011 at 9:45 am

Beautiful photo, this sounds delicious!

16. Shannon 08/13/2011 at 12:15 am

You have the BEST photos in your posts!!