Oatmeal Cookies

Do you have a favorite “go to” cookie recipe?  One that you make over and over again?  The one you  make when you want a quick treat and don’t want to have to really think.  A recipe you know you always have the ingredients on hand for?

At our house we have three “go to” cookie recipes.  Of course, there is chocolate chip cookies and snickerdoodles. And my third “go to” cookie is this recipe for oatmeal cookies.

This particular recipe has been in my family for a long time.  It belonged to my Great Aunt Dorothy Schenck McKowan who was a wonderful cook.  Everyone needs a “go to” oatmeal cookie recipe.  I like them plain but they would probably be great with raisins or chocolate chip.  They are a thin, light  oatmeal cookie which I prefer over a thick chewy one.

Be sure and use the old fashioned oats in this recipe, not the quick cooking ones.  It does make a difference.  Another reason I love this recipe is that it freezes and refrigerates well.  I divide the dough in half and form each half into a log.  I then wrap the log in wax paper and then pop it in the refrigerator or freezer. If it’s going in the freezer I also cover it with some foil to prevent freezer burn.  I can have warm, homemade cookies whenever I want!

I think they would be pretty amazing with a scoop of ice cream sandwiched  between two of them!  Don’t you?!

Enjoy Aunt Dorothy’s oatmeal cookies.

Oatmeal Cookies

Printable Recipe

Cream until fluffy:

1 C butter

1 C brown sugar

1 C sugar

1 tsp vanilla

2 eggs

Add:

1 1/2 C flour

1 tsp cream of tartar

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

3 C regular oats (not instant)

Form into rolls. Refrigerate – can be frozen.  You can also  bake them right away without refrigerating.  Just use a cookie scoop, don’t form them into a log.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

Tags: , , , ,

1. Carissa 09/17/2016 at 7:20 am

If you are interested in topic: gta online earn xp in sims –
    you should read about Bucksflooder first

2. Karine 08/24/2016 at 4:16 am

I see many interesting posts here. Your blog can go viral easily, you need some initial traffic
    only. How to get initial traffic? Search google for: Jemensso’s tricks

3. S. Summers 07/05/2012 at 5:24 pm

Wow! These were great!! I had to substitute chia seeds for the egg, but they were delicious. Thank you for another great recipe.

4. Pingback: Cinnamon and Oatmeal Cookie Ice Cream

5. g2 gingerbread 11/20/2011 at 2:28 pm

Hi there, I discovered your website by way of Google whilst searching for a comparable subject, your site got here up, it appears great. I’ve added to my favourites|added to my bookmarks.

6. Pingback: Nestle chocolate chip oatmeal cookie recipe

7. Patti 10/17/2010 at 7:10 pm

Oatmeal cookies are my husband’s favorite. Cream of tartar is an interesting addition. I think I’ll go try these out right now!!! My DH will love me for it!

8. Familyfreedominfo 10/10/2010 at 2:35 am

How long can the dough be kept frozen before you have to use it up?
    Thanks!….Sheri

• Leigh Anne Wilkes 10/14/2010 at 2:17 am

To be honest it never lasts more than a week at our house. I would think you could keep it for up to a month as long as it was wrapped up good and tight to prevent freezer burn.

9. Itfeelslikechaos 10/04/2010 at 9:46 pm

These look so yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe; I’m going to make them soon!

10. dvegger 10/04/2010 at 2:04 am

Thanks for the recipe. I need to make these for my two college kid’s fall ‘care package”!

11. Juliegildea 10/03/2010 at 7:37 pm

I love your Blog…I rarely put a comment because I follow your blog on a reader, but I look forward to your posts and have tried a lot of your recipes and they have all been wonderful. I also made about 8 cake plates from your tutorial! I have 5 daughters and have 6 beautiful antique plates from my grandmother. I made each of them one. Thanks for all your ideas! I love them!!

• Leigh Anne Wilkes 10/14/2010 at 2:16 am

Thanks for letting me know! I am so glad you enjoy the blog and had fun with your cake plates!! What a special treasure for your daughters to have.

12. Mary Martin 147 10/03/2010 at 6:20 pm

Sounds like a yummy recipe. I am a fan of oatmeal and chocolate chips together.

13. Holly 10/03/2010 at 5:52 pm

Delicious! Just made these, Leigh Anne, and the whole apartment smells like heaven! Thanks for a great recipe! -Holly (NYC)

14. Laura 10/03/2010 at 5:13 pm

Leigh Anne, those oatmeal cookies look so good! One of my favorite go-to cookie recipes is my chocolate-peanutbutter “no-bake” cookie recipe!

15. Joan Callaway 10/03/2010 at 4:23 pm

These sound wonderful. Thanks for the idea of freezing a roll of them for future use. I never think to do that. My favorite go-to cookie is also an oatmeal one, but has coconut and macademia or walnuts, a bit of cinnamon. Another favorite when my children were young was a 1 pan Poor Man Cookies as I always had all the ingredients in the house and it was amazingly simple to whip up.

16. Renee S. 10/03/2010 at 4:17 pm

Our favorite “go to” cookie recipes are Toffee Bars and Really Good Cookie Bars. (I wish those had a more original name though). : )

17. Ellen 10/03/2010 at 3:30 pm

I just put my second batch of these in the oven and the first is ohhhh soooo yummmmy!!!! I just added some chocolate chips for the next batch. My favorite “go to” cookie recipes, so far are, Tate’s Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe (you can find this online by searching that name….these are THE BEST!!!!), I have a great Ginger Snap, and almost everything from Maida Heatter (she’s my dessert goddess). Leigh Anne…your creativity astounds me and I love your blogs! Thank you for sharing!!!!!

18. Deanna 10/03/2010 at 6:20 am

Anything you do is a “go” with me. I love your style, your way and you just make every day things look special, fun, elegant and a feeling of wow!! Thanks for being so gracious, charming and willing to share your ways with us.

19. Laurie 10/03/2010 at 5:18 am

Your Oatmeal Cookies look awesome and I’ll try your version. My husband loves Oatmeal Cookies with a little hint of orange so I usually add a bit of zest if I have oranges in the house. The cookies I bake most often are Chocolate Chip, Peanut Butter and Sugar. Of course at Christmas time, that changes to Ginger Snaps, Gingerbread Men and Tartletts..

• Leigh Anne Wilkes 10/14/2010 at 2:15 am

Love the idea of the orange zest – will try that next time!

20. Dawndonnelson 10/03/2010 at 1:28 am

My husband has been on a quest for the perfect oatmeal cookies for years, I’ll have to try this one.

21. Dgkmbrown 10/03/2010 at 12:02 am

My three goto cookie recipes is Chocolate & Peanut Butter Chip, Oatmeal Chocolate Chip and Chocolate Cookies with Peanut Butter Chips. (We like chocolate at our house)

22. Stampprincess 10/02/2010 at 10:14 pm

Sounds good! Thanks for sharing!!

23. Lgk153 10/02/2010 at 10:12 pm

the photos and your presentation look wonderful, one question in the recipe it says regular oats, not instant, another paragraph states old fashion not quick, I’m a little confused, which do you recommend? I would like to make these for my family, thinking of adding some unsweetened flaked coconut
    tia

• Leigh Anne Wilkes 10/14/2010 at 2:14 am

Sorry for the confusion – quick equals instant. Regular equals old fashioned. Need to be more consistent but that’s the way my great aunt Dorothy wrote the recipe!

24. Jrcoop4 10/02/2010 at 7:49 pm

One of my favorite cookies are Oatmeal Chocolate chip. I love Leigh Anne at Your Homebased Mom. She always has such yummy recipes and I’m sure this cookie recipe taste as good as it looks.

25. Suej953 10/02/2010 at 7:34 pm

One of my favorite “go to” cookie recipes is Oatmeal Scotchies. I use the recipe on the back of the butterscotch chips, but put half butterscotch and half white chocolate chips. YUM!!

26. Tauna 10/02/2010 at 6:21 pm

My favorite go to cookie recipe is one from a child’s cookbook of Emeril’s I got several years ago. It is a chocolate chip cookie recipe but what makes it different is the kinds of chocolate chips you use. It calls for 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips, 1/2 c. semi-sweet choc chips, and 1/2 c. white chocolate chips. Adding the 3 different kinds really makes these taste amazing.

27. Lahefele 10/02/2010 at 5:58 pm

Hey Leigh Anne – I will have to try these as we love oatmeal cookies. My go to recipe is chocolate chip cookies, the recipe on the back of the Nestle chocolate chip bag except for one substitution that my mother taught me. I substitute the butter for Crisco. With butter, I always have trouble with the cookies spreading out too much. With the Crisco they seem to keep a really nice shape and I really don’t notice any taste difference. My mom uses the butter flavored Crisco and thinks that works great!

28. Lahefele 10/02/2010 at 5:58 pm

29. Sanditerry2 10/02/2010 at 5:49 pm

I do not know why I torture myself everyday this as I am trying so hard to lose weight. For the future these look wonderful.

30. Vikki 10/02/2010 at 5:44 pm

My daughter loves oatmeal cookies! Looking forward to trying yours.
    My current favorates are: sugar cookie bars (so easy),gingersnaps dipped in white chocolate & my husband’s favorite: snickderdoodles
    Vikki

31. Stampher 10/02/2010 at 5:41 pm

Going to have to try these. Love the hint about rolling into a log shape and freezing the dough. Warm cookied anytime!! Yummy.

32. Barb Maynard 10/02/2010 at 5:05 pm

Our favorite is SnikerDoodle’s, Chocolate Chip, and Congo Bars – I often double batch the dough for the choc. chip/snikerdoodles and fresh in logs, so I am prepared and ready!!

33. Vicky 10/02/2010 at 4:57 pm

I love oatmeal cookies. I’m going to give this one a try.

34. Jackie 10/02/2010 at 4:53 pm

Going to try this today, (after soccer).

35. Pedey 10/02/2010 at 4:45 pm

Looks delicious, Leigh Anne!

My top 3 go-to cookies are:
    The Chocolate Chip ones off the Nestle bag

My Oatmeal Choc. Chip Krispers: http://pedersenfood.blogspot.com/2010/09/oatmeal-chocolate-chip-krispers.html

My PB Choc. Chip cookies: http://pedersenfood.blogspot.com/2010/08/irresponsibly-large-peanut-butter.html

36. Grnglass 10/02/2010 at 4:11 pm

One of my favorites – can hardly wait to try your recipe! I sure enjoy your blog – you are a very talented lady – a real Jackie of all trades!

37. Meg 10/02/2010 at 2:48 pm

Look so yummy.. I love Oatmeal. Can’t wait to try them. I like thinner oatmeal cookies too.

I recall a childhood favorite from “Childcraft Library” that was very similar, but NO FLOUR.. makes a yummy flat crispy thin that is so addictive! I am still searching for that recipe…

38. Quirky Jessi 10/02/2010 at 2:46 pm

Those look really good. I just know that the first time I’d make these, no matter how hard I tried to remember, I’d grab the quick oats instead of instant, though, bleh.

39. Btskelton 10/02/2010 at 1:12 pm

they look delicious! i love your site.. i’ve made many of your recipes with great success. and i know some of your relatives! it was fun to see them in your family reunion pictures….I live in Northern Arizona… that should give you a hint.

40. camie 10/02/2010 at 10:38 am

Those look good! If you really want to know, my favorite “go to” cookie recipe is my Grandma Betty’s sugar cookie recipe. When she passed away the only thing I wanted were her cookie cutters. I make these for every occasion and it’s my most sought after recipe other than my Chicken Tikka Masala.
    Grandma Betty’s Sugar Cookies (makes lots!)
    2 cups sugar
    1 cup Crisco
    ½ cup sour milk (you can add a little vinegar to fresh milk)
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract and ½ teaspoon lemon extract
    5 cups flour or more

Cream Crisco and sugar. Add eggs well beaten. Add soda mixed with sour milk, salt, extracts, and flour. Mix/knead dough until smooth. Roll out on a slightly floured surface and use cookie cutters to cut into desired shapes. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until golden.
    For the icing, she never used a recipe. She mixed powdered sugar, butter, a little milk and a little lemon extract. She always added food coloring and at Christmas some red hots to decorate.

41. camie 10/02/2010 at 10:38 am

Grandma Betty’s Sugar Cookies (makes lots!)
    2 cups sugar
    1 cup Crisco
    ½ cup sour milk (you can add a little vinegar to fresh milk)
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract and ½ teaspoon lemon extract
    5 cups flour or more

• unameit 10/03/2010 at 3:12 pm

Camie, my children love Tikka Masala and so do my hubby and I. Any chance you would share your recipe with me? If yes, I can send you my email. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

42. Pingback: Oatmeal Cookies — your homebased mom

43. Shannon Breuner Nelson 09/27/2010 at 4:22 pm

I love the pictures that go with your posts! They really make you want to get cooking! These look delish…