Swedish Pancakes

We are pancake lovers around our house.  We love all kinds of pancakes!

We love nice, hearty, healthy pancakes like these oatmeal pancakes.

And we love a nice light, delicate pancake like today’s recipe for Swedish Pancakes.

I used my trusty old cast iron skillet to make them but any nice frying pan will do. There is just something about cooking in cast iron that I think makes food taste better!

The trick to getting a nice smooth batter without a lot of lumps is to use your blender – just toss the ingredients in and blend!

We like to serve Swedish Pancakes with fresh, yummy strawberries, real maple syrup and a sprinkle of powdered sugar.

They are just as yummy with powdered sugar sprinkled on top and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice!  Swedish Pancakes are more crepe like than pancake like.  I am thinking they would also be good with some Nutella and bananas on top!

We actually enjoy Swedish Pancakes for dinner as much as we do for breakfast!

What’s your favorite pancake topping??

Swedish Pancakes

8 Tbsp butter

1 C flour

1 3/4 C whole milk

3 large eggs

1 tsp vanilla

1/4 tsp salt

Powdered sugar, lemon juice, maple syrup, strawberries for topping.

Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a 10 inch nonstick or cast iron skillet.  Combine the flour, milk, eggs, melted butter, vanilla and salt in a blender and blend until smooth.

Heat oven to 200 to keep cooked pancakes warm while you continue cooking additional ones.

Heat skillet over medium heat or until a drop of water sizzles in the pan.

Add 1 tsp butter, coat the pan with melted butter.  Pour a scant 1/3 cup of batter and quickly swirl the pan to evenly coat the bottom.

Cook until the pancake sets, about 1-2 minutes.  Using a spatula, lift the pancake by the edge and turn;  cook until lightly golden on the other side, about 15-30 seconds.  Transfer to a plate and keep warm in oven while making the others.  Repeat with butter and batter – will make about 12 pancakes (depending on the size of your pan)  If the batter seems too thick, thin it with a bit of warm water.

You can serve the pancakes, flat and open or I like to fold them into fourths – they look prettier that way!

Tags: , , , ,

1. Karmen 03/31/2011 at 10:24 am

As you can see I have been searching your site for breakfast today. i want to start a new tradition of something yummy for General conference breakfasts. However, this dish already has won the christmas morning spot. We have it every year with fresh fruit, nutella and homemade whipped cream…YUMMY!

2. tcb22 05/17/2010 at 1:40 pm

yum, yum and YUM!!!

3. Julie 05/17/2010 at 1:56 am

Made these for dinner tonight and they were delicious. Thanks for another great recipe!

4. thogsett13 05/16/2010 at 1:49 pm

These look way yummy! Thanks for sharing with us! We love pancakes at our home too!

5. Mary Anne Best 05/15/2010 at 8:10 pm

As the lucky Mom of Homebasedmom the best thing I can say about her cooking. Is Yum! Sorry but I think it describes the recipes well. Guess she could say delish, fab but for me its Yum, Yum.

6. Jill 05/15/2010 at 1:47 am

Yep. This is breakfast tomorrow. Thanks for the link from Homebased!

7. Laura 05/14/2010 at 6:52 pm

Always wanted to make Swedish pancakes. I think this recipe will be my first try!

8. Ellen 05/14/2010 at 6:19 pm

Yum! (and, may the word “yum” live on forever in excess!)

I love the German pancake so much, but I'll have to try the Swedish version soon!

9. julie 05/14/2010 at 5:49 pm

I love swedish pancakes! Can't wait to give these a try!

10. FoodontheTable 05/14/2010 at 5:39 pm

Just came over from homebased mom! These look delicious and light.

11. Jenny 05/14/2010 at 4:57 pm

I love your blogs and faithfully read them, but I find that I am frustrated with your constant overuse of the word “Yum.” If you re-read your previous posts I think you will be surprised at the number of times even in a single post you use this word. Please consider finding a new adjective for describing your recipes–I look forward to the next one!

12. Teri Helms 05/14/2010 at 4:57 pm

These look yummy, Leigh Anne!

13. Angela 05/14/2010 at 4:13 pm

I have one of my mom's very old recipe books (1964) with a Swedish Pancake recipe in it that calls for lingonberries. We've never used them with those fresh berries but like to squeeze fresh lemons & sprinkle with powdered sugar. What a wonderful flavor!

14. Pingback: Weekly Round Up « TodaysMama

15. Jessica H 05/14/2010 at 3:28 pm

I LOVE Swedish pancakes! My grandmother {we call her Farmor} is from Sweden and she used to make these all the time for us. It is one of my favorites. I just never get tired of it. I even posted about it on my cooking blog! I'll have to try your idea with strawberries and syrup. Usually we just do sugar or jam – mostly 'cuz that's way Farmor did it.

16. Courtney 05/14/2010 at 3:18 pm

these look yummy! had to jump over and see them!

17. Leigh Anne 05/14/2010 at 3:00 pm

Yum – love the idea of cinnamon and sugar!!

18. Pingback: Swedish Pancakes and Sunshine — your homebased mom

19. erinoltmanns 05/13/2010 at 9:38 pm

My husband's family introduced me to Swedish Pancakes – it's our Christmas morning tradition. Our variation is to butter and sprinkle the open pancakses with cinnamon and sugar before folding into fourths. No syrup needed!