Double Chocolate Brownies with Caramel Frosting

Chocolate and Caramel – does it get any better than that?! These double chocolate caramel brownies with the most delicious frosting are pure heaven.

Double Chocolate Caramel Brownies

chocolate caramel brownies with caramel frosting recipe

When I first saw this recipe in my mom’s new Southern Living Cookbook I knew I would be making them – soon!

They did not disappoint!  The brownie is full of chocolate and topped with a creamy caramel frosting.

They are a perfect addition to any upcoming summertime picnic or just because.  They are guaranteed to satisfy any chocolate craving you may have.

You need a candy thermometer to make the frosting.  If you don’t have one, borrow one from a friend or go buy yourself one.  You’ll be glad you did!

chocolate brownies with caramel recipe

Double Chocolate Brownies with Caramel Frosting

2 (1-oz.) unsweetened chocolate baking squares

2 (1-oz.) semisweet chocolate baking squares

1 C butter, softened

2 C sugar

4 large eggs

1 C all purpose flour

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp vanilla

3/4 C chopped, toasted pecans, divided  (I didn’t use)

3/4 C semisweet chocolate chips, divided

Caramel Frosting

Microwave chocolate squares in a small bowl at medium heat until melted.  Stir chocolate until smooth.

Beat butter and sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.  Add melted chocolate, beating just until blended.

Add flour and salt, beating at low speed just until blended.  Stir in vanilla, 1/2 C pecans, and 1/2 C chocolate chips.  Spread batter into a greased and floured 9 x 13 pan.  Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 C pecans and 1/4 C chocolate chips.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until set.  Cool completely on a wire rack.  Frost evenly with Caramel Frosting.

Caramel Frosting

3/4 C butter

2 C sugar

1/2 C buttermilk

12 large marshmallows

1 Tbsp light corn syrup

1/2 tsp baking soda

Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat.  Stir in sugar and remaining ingredients.  Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 25-30 minutes or until a candy thermometer registers 234 degrees (soft boil stage)  Remove from heat.  Beat at high speed for 5-7 minutes or until frosting thickens and begins to lose its gloss.

Now go and enjoy your brownies with caramel the way they were meant to be!

More Recipes on TodaysMama:

Best Chocolate Cupcakes

Homemade Oreo Cookies

10 of the Best French Toast Recipes

Enjoy this chocolate caramel brownies recipe! We love it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Pingback: Valentine Date Ideas in DC DC Mama

2. Pingback: Printable Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup Recipes « « TodaysMama TodaysMama

3. Pingback: Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup in the Slow Cooker Utah Mama

4. Pingback: Alternative Peanut Butter Cup Recipe « « TodaysMama TodaysMama

5. Matmedmera 05/26/2012 at 1:33 am

Very nice brownies!

6. Pingback: Story At Home Conference Giveaway « « TodaysMama TodaysMama

7. Dulzuras Artísticas 02/18/2012 at 3:09 pm

Me encantan!!!!

8. Telisa Van Leeuwen 02/10/2012 at 4:19 pm

Just shared these AMAZING brownies on my blog today! Thank you for posting them!

9. Sandra 01/31/2012 at 5:55 pm

I am really disappointed in the frosting. The brownies look great, but I already know how to make great brownies. It was the frosting that sold me on this. I have been beating it with my kitchen aid for probably 15 minutes and all it looks like is caramel dipping sauce. Nothing is happening. I will let it sit for a bit to cool down and try to whip it some more. Hopefully something will happen. Maybe if calibrating your candy thermometer is something that will make or break this recipe you should include that information up in the recipe itself. I didn’t see that comment until it was too late. I also didn’t know they needed to be calibrated. I just bought one today.

• Leigh Anne 01/31/2012 at 6:24 pm

Hopefully as it cooled it whipped up better for you. I will add into the post the comment about the candy thermometer. It is always a good idea when you buy a new one or you haven’t used yours in a while to test it to make sure it is working right. I made 3 batches of fudge this Christmas with a bad thermometer and they were a disaster. You would think I would have figured it out after the first batch. Just put your thermometer into a pot of water. You also need to know what temperature water boils where you live. Elevation can effect this so you should be able to goggle it. See if your water boils at the boiling point for your area. If it registers above or below that you can just add on the difference to your temperature to know when it is the correct temperature. Hope this makes sense.

As an example if your thermometer reads 202 when the water boils and you know your boiling point is 212 you know to add 10 degrees on to whatever your are cooking

• Sandra 01/31/2012 at 10:55 pm

Well the frosting didn’t whip up after it cooled. It’s still a thick goo. But the brownies are really good! I will definitely calibrate my thermometer! :)

10. Randi 01/26/2012 at 10:33 pm

Those look so delicious … I’m pinning now! Thanks for sharing.

11. Susan R. 01/26/2012 at 6:00 pm

Okay, can I just tell you how disappointed I was with this recipe?
    I followed the directions very closely (measurements, time allottment, temperatures, etc…) The brownies came out kind of overdone and the frosting darn near turned into toffee.
    I was so disappointed, mostly because I wasted a lot of time and ingredient.
    I have decided to alter things up a little in this recipe to try and make it work and I’ll give it one more try.

• Leigh Anne 01/26/2012 at 6:13 pm

Susan, I am so sorry they didn’t work for you – I am wondering if maybe if the brownies are overdone that your oven bakes hotter than mine? Whenever I try a new recipe I always cook it for a little less time and then check it as my oven can cook hot. Also – have you calibrated your candy thermometer lately. I discovered after 3 batches of failed fudge this last holiday that my candy thermometer was off. It sounds like maybe your frosting cooked a little too long if it got toffee like.

• Susan R. 02/12/2012 at 11:14 pm

Leigh Anne
      I just wanted to tell you that I gave the recipe a second go and they turned out perfectly. I altered time in cooking both and it made all the difference in the world. I blogged about it and posted a photo (gave you proper credit of course). They were delightful.

12. Cindy 01/23/2012 at 10:59 am

These look fantastic, hubby is a brownie fanatic. I’m trying these right away.

13. Candace 06/01/2010 at 7:39 pm

My mouth is watering, I'm making a list right now of what I need to go pick up from the store in order to make these ASAP! WOW! Great pics too, that's what makes these so alluring, they sound delicious and LOOK delicious!

14. Camille 05/30/2010 at 9:45 pm

oh goodness! these look delicious!

15. Pingback: Weekly Round Up: Memorial Day Weekend Edition « TodaysMama

16. Cynthia 05/27/2010 at 6:54 pm

Yummy!!

17. Cynthia 05/27/2010 at 6:53 pm

There goes watching the calorie intake…looks yummy

18. Darla 05/27/2010 at 5:08 pm

I WAS on a diet this month!! : ) That looks seriously yummy!!

19. edyB 05/27/2010 at 4:29 pm

You are killing me here!!!! Yummmy OH MY Goodness!

20. Valery 05/27/2010 at 4:13 pm

Yum!

21. Pingback: Double Chocolate Brownies with Caramel Frosting — your homebased mom