Oatmeal Pancakes

In my unending attempts to be a better wife and mother I have been trying to incorporate more whole grains and less of all that white stuff into my family’s diet.  This can be a bit tricky when your family is use to only white flour!

This past week my husband and I went to breakfast and I ordered the oatmeal pancakes in my attempts to eat healthier.

They were delicious.  As soon as we got home I set out to find a recipe so that I could duplicate them.  With a few little changes and tweeks I think I have come up with a winner!

I served them for Sunday breakfast.  My husband loved them but I knew my teenage daughter would be the tricky one.  She knew something was up and wanted to know why the batter looked lumpy.  When I told her there was oatmeal in them she made a face but promised to give them a shot.

Much to her surprise and my pleasure she loved them!

You soak the oatmeal in buttermilk overnight so a little planning is required.  Thanks to the soaked oatmeal the pancakes are very moist and yummy.

The recipe also calls for coconut oil which I had but if you don’t just go ahead and use canola or vegetable oil instead.  You really should get yourself some coconut oil though – it’s so good for you.

I also used brown sugar instead of white sugar and next time I think I will use some agave syrup.

The version I had at the restaurant also had dried cranberries in them so I added some of those to part of the batter.

Tessa chose to have them with butter and real maple syrup.

My husband had a healthier version with fresh strawberries.

Either way they were delicious and an easy way to sneak more of those whole grains into your family’s diet.

What’s your favorite way to get your family to eat more whole grain goodness?

Oatmeal Pancakes

2 C dry old fashioned oatmeal

2 C buttermilk

2 eggs

2 tablespoons coconut oil or canola oil

1/2 C whole wheat pastry flour

1/2 C whole milk (I used 2 %)

2 tablespoons brown sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 C dried cranberries

The night before, combine the oatmeal, flour and buttermilk in a large bowl.  Stir well.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

The next morning, remove the bowl from the refrigerator.  Add the eggs, oil, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.

Stir together.  Add milk till it’s a good pancake consistency.  Mix until just combined.

Cook the pancakes on a hot, buttered griddle.  They’re ready to turn when the top side is bubbly and puffed up, flip and let cook on other side.  Do not smash them down with your spatula even though you may be tempted!

Recipe inspired by Musings of a Housewife

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Pingback: Whole Wheat and Oatmeal Waffles and more.... - your homebased mom

2. Pingback: Swedish Pancakes and Sunshine - your homebased mom

3. Pingback: Swedish Pancakes « Portland Mama

4. Pingback: Whole Wheat and Oatmeal Waffles « Portland Mama

5. The Queen Vee 03/31/2010 at 3:57 am

How many pancakes did this batter make? They look really good.

6. judi 03/29/2010 at 11:07 pm

Leigh Anne,
    These look really yummy! I can't wait to try them and I LOVE coconut oil..it's SO good for you.
    judi 😉

7. Carolyn Davis 03/26/2010 at 11:58 pm

I have the ingredients, but had to come back to find out when to add the cranberries, I see now you added them to half of the batter, thats a good idea, I am having two of my smaller grandchildren on a stopover and not sure how picky they are so will do the same. Cranberries are relatively new here and I love them.

8. Carolyn Davis 03/26/2010 at 8:29 pm

Love this recipe will try it tomorrow on my grandkids.

9. Tamara 03/26/2010 at 6:38 pm

These look absolutely yummy! When my children were home I'd always have freshly ground flour in my freezer and would substitute the white flour in everything. (started with a few T. at first until we were more used to it.) I'd cook barley and put in soups, (could usually get by without them noticing). I loved to exepriment with unusual grains and try to get away without anyone saying anything.

10. toddleraudrey 03/26/2010 at 3:16 pm

This sounds great! I am always looking for ways to get healthier ingredients in my two-year-old and her picky father.

11. Pingback: Weekly Perspectives Round Up « TodaysMama

12. leighannewilkes 03/26/2010 at 4:35 am

You need to soak the oatmeal. Haven't ever done it the day of but you could try doing it in the morning and see if that is long enough for it to soak – you want the oatmeal nice and soft. EnJOY!

13. Connie Colley 03/26/2010 at 2:45 am

This one got me excited! I too love using more whole grains in our diet…here are several recipes using oatmeal flour.

I have been making 100% oatmeal pancakes and waffles for years. The waffles are addicting and certainly the family favorite!!!! I usually make a x 4 batch and keep them in the refrigerator for quick breakfasts. It is wonderful knowing that we are eating complex carbs….and it keeps my hungry boys satisfied much longer…which is an added bonus! The toppings you mentioned sounded wonderful. Another topping I love is bananas, cinnamon and warm honey….yummy!!!!

14. Megan Park 03/25/2010 at 9:26 pm

Do you HAVE to refrigerate overnight?? I want these for dinner!!

15. leighannewilkes 03/25/2010 at 7:45 pm

I have used coconut oil in other things and had a slight coconut flavor but I didn't notice it in the pancakes. I am not a fan of coconut but don't mind the slight flavor it can give to some things. The thing I like the best is to make popcorn using the coconut oil – yum!!

16. Pingback: Oatmeal Pancakes — your homebased mom

17. Rachael 03/22/2010 at 11:19 pm

Does the coconut oil add a different flavor than canola oil? healthier?

18. Jake Spurlock 03/22/2010 at 7:19 pm

I'm with ya Erica, these look fantastic.

19. erica_f 03/22/2010 at 4:46 pm

YUM! I'm meeting some moms for breakfast tomorrow and this will be the perfect thing to share!